Becoming a Licensed/Permitted Wildlife Rehabilitator

If you are interested in becoming a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, we recommend that you first spend some time volunteering for a wildlife rehabilitation organization such as New Mexico Wildlife Center. This will allow you to gain valuable experience and knowledge while volunteering as an organizational “sub-permittee.” In order to rehabilitate wildlife outside of a permitted facility such as New Mexico Wildlife Center, you must hold permits or licenses from the state and federal governments.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is responsible for migratory birds and federally threatened and endangered wildlife throughout the United States. They have printed regulations pertaining to different activities, such as rehabilitation, involving these animals. For more information, download their pdf by clicking here.

Additionally, regulations and other requirements for becoming a wildlife rehabilitator vary from state to state. The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish is responsible for non-migratory birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians and state threatened and endangered wildlife. For more information, please visit their website by clicking here and scroll down to the Wildlife Rehabilitation section.

There are two organizations that provide training and certification for wildlife rehabilitation:

© 2019